Copywriting in medicine and health field
The market demand of medical copywriting is growing fast. This new field needs experts and professional writers constantly.
Who needs service of the medical copywriter?
- Rehab facilities
- Assisted living quarters
Medical copywriter specializes in promotional, technical and scientific materials. These contend is used in traditional printed editions, on DVD and CD presentation or on the Internet. This career combines the love to science and passion to the advertising industry. It could be a challenge because medical copywriters have to destroy the opinion that science is boring. Moreover, he combines dry scientific information with creative words for educational or promotional purposes. He should engage and compel audience via well-written SEO content.
Professional copywriter always keeps abreast of new technologies, developments, and innovations. However, specific knowledge in every medical sector is not required. Also, the copywriter has to be familiar with regulations in the field and guidelines.
Types of medical content
- Training aid
- Articles for magazines
- Web copy
- Educational materials
- Reports for conferences
- Manuscripts for journals
- Regulatory documents
Newspapers’ and magazines’ articles are created for the general public. That is why, they have to be written in the non-technical simple language.
Educational materials contain patient education materials, e-learning modules, Continued Medical Education (CME) programs, textbooks, slide decks.
Regulatory documents are divided into subject narratives, patient information leaflets, prescribing information, web synopses, clinical study reports, common technical documents, Adverse Drug Experience Reports, nonclinical and clinical overviews, expert reports.
Requirements for medical copywriters
- Medical degree or ability to understand terminology and medical facts. Strong background allows to become a successful writer in this field.
- Life science degree must be Masters or Doctorate.
- Ability to research the topic and write knowingly about it.
- There are some courses for increasing professional skills. Moreover, the membership in professional associations such as AMWA (American Medical Writers Association) could be useful because of workshops of medical copywriting.
- The best combination of education is science and science journalism.
Medical copywriters write for different areas. It is the relatively new occupation. Award-winning, top paid writers could make six figures, but inexperienced authors start to 25000 dollars per year. They create a video, written and radio advertisement of drugs, medical equipment techniques, devices or medical services. The target audience could be customers, doctors, and other medical specialists.
Clients of medical writers.
- Medical Websites
- Medical device companies
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Scientific content companies
- Medical Journals
- Media and publishing companies
- Medical societies
- Scientific societies
- Medical institutions
- Contract Research Organizations
- Knowledge Process Outsourcing companies
- Business Process Outsourcing companies
Stages of medical copywriting.
- Understanding the purpose of the project
- Research of special literature and gathering of the information
- Creating the first draft of the document is the longest process
- Editing is a checking accuracy, format, tone, style, paragraphs, header footers, the spacing of the content.
- Approval the text of project